Giving Birth in Canada - Benefits, Cost, Citizenship, Tourism Visa...

Giving Birth in Canada – Benefits, Cost, Citizenship, Tourism Visa…

Are you considering the possibility of giving birth in Canada?
If you are an expectant mum considering baby tourism in Canada, this is the guide for you! Read On!
The Canadian Citizenship Act – paragraph 3(1)(a) – states that all individuals born in Canada are Canadian citizens, regardless of their parent’s status in Canada. The only exclusion is foreign diplomats who give birth to a child in Canada, cannot be Canadian citizens.

Therefore, if you are a temporary resident in Canada (e.g. a visitor, worker, tourist) and you give birth to a child in Canada, your child automatically becomes a Canadian citizen.

Did you know? The United States of America (USA) and Canada are currently the only G7 nations that have birthright citizenship.

Benefits of Giving Birth in Canada

If an individual is born in Canada, the Canadian-born child has all the rights and privileges as every other Canadian citizen, including:

  • The right to live/reside in Canada or travel to Canada at any time without a visa.
  • The child is entitled to receive and enjoy benefits such as free health care benefits, free education, and free social benefits.

What is the Meaning of Birth Tourism and is it Legal in Canada? 

The act of travelling to another country to give birth and as a result getting citizenship for the child, even if the parents are neither residents nor citizens is known as baby or birth tourism.

Only a few developed countries allow this and Canada is one of them. It is also completely legal in Canada.

Like visitors or tourist visa holders, the expectant mother has to prove that she is financially capable and will return to her home country after delivery.

The expectant mother can provide a letter from the doctor who will deliver the baby in Canada and proof of funds for the doctor’s services to make the visa process easier. 

If you will be delivering your baby while you’re in Canada as a visitor, tourist, or non-resident, you will have to pay out-of-pocket for your medical care. The Canadian health care system will not cover the cost. If you don’t want to handle this cost alone, then you should obtain international medical insurance. 

The parents of the newborn can neither get a residence permit nor Canadian citizenship by virtue of their child being born as a Canadian citizen. However, when the child reaches the age of 18, he or she can sponsor his or her parents to come live permanently in Canada. You don’t have to wait till then though. Find the right Canadian immigration program for you here.

Non-Residents (Visitors) wishing to enter Canada for the Purpose of Giving Birth – Birth Tourism

A temporary resident who gives birth in Canada is not considered to have violated any terms or conditions.

According to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), a TRV cannot be refused just because an applicant intends to have childbirth in Canada.

Assessment of the TRV application of a pregnant applicant should centre on the essential requirements of TRV just like any other applicant.

The fact that an applicant is pregnant should only be considered as a component in the TRV assessment but only in the manner that it affects the assessment of the main requirements for TRV issuance. They are:

  • Does the applicant have sufficient funds for the duration of the trip to Canada?
  • Will the visa applicant depart Canada at the end of their authorized period of stay in Canada?
  • Is the applicant admissible to Canada?

The intent to give birth in Canada (whether indicated or evident) and the pregnancy consideration must relate back to one of the three above primary requirements for issuance of the TRV.

COVID-19 Update: Due to COVID-19, there are travel restrictions that limit those who can come into Canada. Answer some questions to find out if you may be allowed to enter Canada.

The Cost and Procedure of Giving Birth in Canada

Who Covers the Health Care Costs for Childbirth in Canada?

As a visitor/tourist in Canada, deciding to give birth to a child in Canada has some associated costs ranging from $5,000 CAD to $20,000 CAD.

The cost is based on various factors, such as:

  • The health care costs in the province you decide to have your child (some provinces have higher health costs than others).
  • The medical facility that is handling the care (hospital vs. mid-wives)
  • The type of delivery (normal delivery vs caesarean section).

The parent of the child born in Canada is NOT eligible to have the costs of the child’s birth covered by Canadian healthcare.

The mother of the child will be required to pay out-of-pocket expenses for all the associated medical costs and bills related to the birth of the child. This is mandatory since the parent is not a Canadian resident.

The Cheapest Way to Transfer Money to Canada

Paying for your childbirth costs in Canada just got simpler. Wise (formerly TransferWise) is great for sending money internationally with low fees – much cheaper than using your local bank.

Take the stress out of managing your finances. Use a Wise debit card to pay and withdraw money from ATMs when you travel internationally.

If you are a temporarily residing in Canada resident (e.g. student, worker, etc.), you will usually have medical coverage through your educational institution or the provincial government, depending on how long you’ve lived in a specific province.

For example, if you are an international student studying in British Columbia, your educational institution will usually arrange for health coverage through a private insurer for the first 3 months before your provincial health care coverage takes effect.

What is the Procedure for Giving Birth in Canada for Non-Resident?

The procedure for giving birth in Canada for foreign nationals is:

  • Decide that you want to give birth in Canada.
  • Apply for a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)*.
  • If your TRV application is approved, arrive in Canada.
  • Give birth to your child in Canada.
  • Apply for your child’s birth certificate and the child’s Canadian passport.
  • Return back to your home country.

*Citizens of certain countries (such as the United States of America) do not require a TRV to give birth in Canada. However, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

Applying for an eTA is a straightforward online procedure. The majority of applicants get their eTA clearance (through email) within minutes. However, if you are required to provide supporting documentation, some requests may take several days to complete. It is essential to get an eTA before booking a flight to Canada.

Need Help to Submit a TRV Visa Application for Birth Tourism? Contact Us!

⚠️ COVID-19 Update: Temporary Pause on our Birth Tourism Services

Due to the impacts of coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Government of Canada (IRCC) is prioritizing applications from:

  • Canadians trying to return to Canada,
  • Vulnerable people, and
  • People who perform or support essential services.

Thus, it is not likely that you will receive a visa decision early enough for you to give birth in Canada. Check IRCC’s current processing times here.

Similarly, due to COVID-19, there are travel restrictions that limit those who can come into Canada.

Therefore, even if you have a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – tourist visa, you may not be allowed to come into Canada for birth tourism. You can find more information on the current travel restrictions here.

Additionally, the health care facilities are currently overwhelmed. Hence, medical practitioners and health authorities in Canada may be reluctant to provide a letter, if IRCC requests one.

Based on the preceding, our birth tourism services may not meet your intended purpose. Thus, we have put a temporary pause on our TRV visa application services for birth tourism in Canada. We will keep monitoring the situation and update this section accordingly.

What Documents do You Need to Have Your Baby in Canada?

You should bring certain documents along with you when going to the hospital to deliver your baby. These are copies of:

  • Your medical records if you have them with you.
  • Your birth plan.
  • Insurance cards and/or healthcare coverage.
  • Your Social Insurance Number (SIN), if applicable. 
  • Your passports and visas.

Best Hospital to Give Birth in Canada

If you’re a non-resident (visitor) thinking of having your baby in Canada, you may be wondering which hospital is the best place to give birth.

Every province and territory has different hospitals that offer different levels of care, so it can be tricky to figure out which one is right for you.

The following are the top ten (10) hospitals in Canada with the highest number of non-resident births:

  1. Ste-Mary Hospital, Quebec
  2. St. Paul’s & Mount Saint Joseph, British Columbia
  3. Richmond Hospital, British Columbia
  4. Mackenzie-Richmond Hill, Ontario
  5. McGill, Quebec
  6. Trillium-Mississauga, Ontario
  7. St. Joseph’s Health, Ontario
  8. Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario
  9. North York General, Ontario
  10. Trillium-Credit Valley, Ontario

Keep in mind, however, that the above list is not necessarily the “best” hospital list – every province and territory has several excellent hospitals to choose from. So if you did not see your hospital of choice above, don’t worry – you’re still in good hands!

How do You Register Your Child in Canada? 

Each Canadian territory or province has its process for registering childbirth. If you have your child in Ontario, for example, you’ll have to register the baby within the first 30 days. So you should contact the local authorities for information specific to the province you are in. 

When you register your child online, you can also sign up for Canada’s child benefits, register for the child’s birth certificate and his or her social insurance number.

How to Apply for the Child’s Canadian Passport

After completing the birth registration and getting a birth certificate to prove Canadian citizenship, you can then proceed to apply for the child’s Canadian passport. To do this, you will have to:

  1. Complete the Government of Canada form.
  2. Provide your baby’s birth certificate.
  3. Provide two photographs for the passport.
  4. Get a representative (the representative could be a doctor that observed your child in the first days after birth). 
  5. Pay the stipulated fees. 
  6. Send the documents by courier or mail service with tracking, to:

    Government of Canada
    Passport Program
    Gatineau, QC K1A 0G3

Was Your Canada Tourist Visa (TRV) Application Rejected?

If you are considering reapplying, it is a good idea for you to first get the complete details on your previous application from IRCC.


FAQ’s on Birth Tourism Canada Visa – Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Should I disclose that I am pregnant or that I intend to give birth in Canada when applying for a Canadian  TRV?

Yes, you should indicate in your visa application that you are pregnant or that you intend to give birth in Canada. This is important as it may be considered as a material fact in the evaluation of your TRV application.

If the Canadian visa officer is not advised of the pregnancy, it may go unexamined; the fact you are pregnant or that you intend to give birth in Canada may be significant to your TRV application assessment. For instance:

  • Have you made pertinent arrangements for your medical treatment in Canada?
  • Do you have the financial capacity to cover the full costs of childbirth in Canada, or
  • What is the likelihood that you’ll depart from Canada after the birth of your child?

Hence, in some circumstances, the deliberate cover-up of intent to give birth in Canada may result in a conclusion of inadmissibility for misrepresentation (under A40), thereby resulting in a visa refusal prior to visa issuance or refusal of entry into Canada on arrival at the port of entry.

Should I answer “Yes” or “No” in the TRV application form where I’m asked if I or “any accompanying family members have any physical or mental disorders that will require social or health services during their stay in Canada”?

The TRV application form asks whether the visa applicant or if any family member(s) that will be going along to Canada with the applicant, have any physical or mental conditions that will need Canada’s health or social services during the stay in Canada.

As pregnancy is not typically deemed as a “medical condition”, the visa applicant may answer “No” to this question. This is not usually considered misrepresentation in the instance of pregnant applicants, based on the wording used.

READ ALSO >> Chances of Getting Canada Tourist Visa after Refusal

Could being pregnant be considered as medical inadmissibility to Canada?

No, pregnancy by itself cannot deem a TRV visa applicant as inadmissible to Canada.

Although a “high-risk” pregnancy could result in undue demand on the Canadian health care system, this would usually be hypothetical and would not be applicable to the unborn child, as the child born in Canada will become a citizen at birth.

Any concerns that the child after birth in Canada may be a burden on Canadian health and social services, cannot be used in evaluating the medical admissibility of the TRV applicant.

The focus of Canadian visa officers should be on available financial support, when utilizing the guidelines on temporary resident applicants seeking medical treatment in Canada, as part of their assessment of admissibility.

Will a medical examination be required from pregnant TRV applicants?

As per IRCC, a medical examination should only be requested in extraordinary cases. For instance, where the information from the medical examination would be material to the assessment of the TRV visa application.

Can I travel to Canada if I am pregnant?

Yes, you can travel to Canada if you are pregnant. Travelling to Canada is perfectly safe as long as there are no known issues or concerns with the pregnancy.

It is strongly advised that pregnant women who want to travel visit a health care professional at least six weeks before their anticipated departure date.

How much does it cost to deliver a baby in Canada?

The cost to deliver a baby in Canada for Canadian permanent residents and citizens is typically free in most Canadian provinces and territories.

On the other hand, the cost to deliver a baby in Canada for non-residents (visitors) depends on whether they have health insurance coverage or not. The cost ranges from $3,000 CAD to $20,000 CAD.

What countries allow birth tourism?

The countries that allow birth tourism are Canada and the United States. Furthermore, Chile, Brazil, and Mexico do not only allow birthright citizenship, they subsequently expedite permanent residency and time to naturalize as citizens for the parents of the child.

In the majority of European countries, the child of an immigrant is not eligible for citizenship.

What happens to a child born in Canada to foreign parents?

A child born in Canada to foreign parents is entitled to Canadian citizenship by birth. On the other hand, if the child’s parent does not already have Canadian permanent residency or Canadian citizenship, the parent will have to return to their home country with their child, despite the fact that the child was born in Canada.

If the parent wishes to become a Canadian citizen, there are legal ways to attain residency with a Canadian-born child; typically once the child attains the age of majority (18 years old).

Final Words: Childbirth in Canada – Birth Tourism

There has been a consistent increase in “birth tourism” to Canada, whereby expectant mothers from other countries travel to Canada in order to give birth so that their children can acquire Canadian citizenship.

Some people are opposed to this trend, arguing that it amounts to cheating the system and gives an unfair advantage to children born in Canada over those born elsewhere.

Others maintain that as long as everyone is playing by the rules, there is no harm in birth tourism and it should be allowed.

What do you think? Got questions? Feedback? Leave a comment.

Read Also >> Cost of Having a baby in Canada – With or Without Insurance



Charee Oisamoje is the founder of CanadaWiz. She leads the editorial team, which is comprised of subject matter experts that aim to create well-researched, highly detailed content related to studying, working, immigrating, and settling/living in Canada as a newcomer.

Charee's personal experiences as a Canadian immigrant and her professional competencies make her uniquely qualified on the subject matter.

With extensive educational credentials, she is an expert at collecting details, verifying facts, and making complex subjects easy to understand. ✔️MBA in Finance ✔️MScIB ✔️CCEA (#CCG 271) ✔️CPA Candidate ✔️CIP ✔️BSc Accounting

Learn More >> About Page

🏆 Best Offers This Month

📌 Get $3,000 Free Transfer and Earn $75 Referral Bonus

✔️ Get up to $3,000 CAD* Fee-Free transfer (or the equivalent of £2,000 in other currencies).
✔️ Earn $75 CAD** for every 3 friends you refer; they'll get a fee-free transfer of up to $800 CAD.
✔️ Multi-Currency Debit Card:
Spend abroad without hidden fees.
✔️ Best and real exchange rates and lower fees than old-school banks and other money transfer services.

*Your secret code will be automatically applied.
**USD accounts earn $115 USD for every 3 friends you refer; they'll get a fee-free transfer of up to $600 USD).

📌 Low-Cost International Money Transfer with $30 Cash Bonus

✔️ Get a $30 welcome bonus for transferring $100* or more.
✔️ Get a 20 GBP welcome bonus for transferring 75 GBP* or more.
✔️ Fast: 95% of transfers are received by the recipient in minutes.
✔️ Better exchange rates and lower fees than most traditional banks and money transfer services.
*This can be achieved over multiple transfers.

75 thoughts on “Giving Birth in Canada – Benefits, Cost, Citizenship, Tourism Visa…”

  1. Ganiyat Abdulsalam Haway

    I am a pregnant Nigerian female with the intention of going to Canada for delivery. I have a brother in Alberta who is currently a permanent resident with his family.
    What I would like to know is, does having my baby become a Canadian citizen by virtue of birth afford me a better chance of obtaining a permanent residency/citizenship status in the near future? I mean can my husband and I apply for permanent residency by virtue of our child being a Canadian citizen?

    1. CanadaWiz Team

      Ganiyat Abdulsalam Haway,
      Neither you nor your husband can apply for permanent residency/citizenship by virtue of your child being a Canadian citizen due to being born in Canada. However, in the future (if Canadian immigration law is still the same), when your child reaches the age of majority (usually 18 years of age), he/she can apply to sponsor you and your husband to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents. If you and your husband are looking to becoming Canadian permanent residents in the short-term, you will want to consider other immigration routes, for example, Express Entry.

      1. Kamarudeen Kudirat

        Hello , I’m Kudirat and I want your help on how to go give birth in Canada or better still refer me to a trusted company


    1. Idris Jiseph,
      The requirements for application for TRV to give birth in Canada is similar to a regular TRV. The only difference being that your wife has to indicate in her application that the purpose of her visit to Canada is to give birth and meet the additional requirements.
      Refer to the answer we provided above to the question “Should I disclose that I am pregnant or that I intend to give birth in Canada when applying for a Canadian TRV?”
      What country will you be applying from? If you will be applying from Nigeria, this post has detailed information on the Canada TRV process.

  3. I’m permanent resident of Canada and living in Ontario , but my wife dose not have PR and she has TRV and also Expresses entry application in process , she is pregnant now and I’m wondering if I can use my Ohip coverages for some of her maternity costs or do I have to pay from my pocket

    1. Can you please help my wife with the process too, she will like to give birth in Canada my no is {your phone number has been deleted to protect your privacy}.

        1. Can you please help my wife with the process too, she will like to give birth in Canada my no is {your phone number has been deleted to protect your privacy}.

    2. Armin,
      To ensure that you get the most accurate information, we recommended that you contact OHIP to ask. Please come back and post a follow-up comment to let us know what you found out, so that others like Gaspar Raposo can gain from your knowledge. All the best!

  4. Please help me out here I want my wife to deliver in Canada and I was introduced to an agent who took our money and for one year now story story from the agent and my wife have birth in my country Nigeria and this time I do not want to make the same mistakes again
    Please help us out here my email {your email has been deleted to protect your privacy}

    1. Obuefuna Cyprian,
      Sorry to hear about your experience with an agent who defrauded you and your wife. To ensure that you do not make the same mistakes again, you want to first ensure that your wife meets the requirements to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from Nigeria.
      If she meets the requirement, she can follow the step-by-step process here and apply on her own. Or if you/she requires one-on-one assistance, feel free to contact us for help.

      1. Funmilayo Adenusi

        Good morning, do I need to register with a hospital while in Nigeria or when I get there.

        In my place of work, I will only be allow to leave for Canada when I m about to put to bed, what maximum age limit(pregnancy age now) will be allo to travel

  5. Hello,
    I am a Canadian permanent resident, my girlfriend is pregnant in the United Estates. I would like to know if she can come to gift birth to my kid in Canada where I live and if my health care will cover that?

    1. Jon,
      Congrats to you and your girlfriend on the pregnancy. As health care varies by province, kindly confirm the province you live in to ensure that we provide you with accurate information.

      1. Hi!

        Need some guidance.

        I am a Candian Citizen. Born and raised here in winnipeg, Mb. My Wife is currently here on a visiting visa from Vietnam. She is expected to go back to Vietnam in March 2021. However I do t believe restrictions will allow her.
        I am in the process of sponsoring her.

        My wife is now pregnant. I want to have the child here in Canada. Can I extend the visa? What options do I have to keep her here. And also, if my wife gives birth here in winnipeg, will it be covered under my health care?

        Please help.

        Best Regards,

        1. Brendon Abernethy

          Hello Andrew,
          We are in the same situation as you and your wife, down to my wife being from Vietnam (only difference is we’re in Sask).
          Did you get any answers?
          Any advice you’d be able to share?


    Are there any travel ban for people from Nigeria who want to give birth in canada this year? Because i want to commence the process of obtaining TRV.

    1. Oare Fredrick Ojehomon,
      The COVID-19 restrictions by the Prime Minister / Government of Canada stop most discretionary (non-essential) travel to Canada. An individual wanting to travel from Nigeria to Canada to give birth will fall into this category.
      As of today, people from Nigeria (or any other country for that matter) wanting to give birth in Canada cannot travel to Canada, even if they have a valid visitor/tourist visa. As travel restrictions may change with little notice, I cannot say if/when the restriction will be lifted this year.

      1. Hi! I am pregnant and have a working visa and I have a valid health care card. Is my medical fees, and hospital bills will be free? I’m worried if not. Please help me. The father of my becoming child is Permanent resident but we’re not married.

  7. Hello, I applied for Temporary Residence Visa for birth 2 months ago. My hospital appointment is in a month time. I haven’t received any response which is making me nervous. I paid medicals fees in full and attached all necessary documents. Is there hope for me? My due date is in 4 months

  8. hi there, my name is Alan,
    I and my wife are originally from Mexico and we are permanent residents of Canada, we are trying to have family, but for us, in order to do that, we will need to use a surrogate mother. My brother’s sister in law (also from Mexico) has offered to be our surrogate mother. We also have already our own embryos in Vancouver and are ready to be transferred. So we need our surrogate to come to Canada for the transfer as soon as flights from Mexico are open again (right now there are no flights because of COVID until April 30, and then we would like to have the baby delivered also here in Canada. so is this all possible? and what kind of visa should be applied for her for this matter? is it the TRV as well? and what are the chances we will get approved?

  9. Hi, Im a Canadian living in USA (for 2 years now) and I want to give birth in Canada, how can I get free health care again in order to delivery in Canada for free? Thank you!

  10. Hi,
    I am a permanent resident of Canada but my partner is not. She is in Canada with me on a TRV (visitor visa). We are planning to have a baby in Canada, Ontario, where we are staying. I have OHIP only for me, but can I get coverage of some of our maternity and delivery costs using my OHIP? Also, how can I get OHIP for my partner?

    1. Hi,
      If your wife is on a visitor visa, she, unfortunately, cannot be covered provincially or federally. I would call OHIP to double-check.

  11. Greetings

  12. Adeleke Segun Adedolapo

    Good day,
    I am a Nigerian whose wife is currently pregnant and I would like her to Deliver the baby in Canada in 3 months from now. Kindly advise on the possibility of having this done and the financial implication.

  13. Jonathan Paradise Ogheneovo

    How long does it take to process the birth certificate and passport of the child once born in canada 🇨🇦?

    1. Hello,

      This depends on your province. I would give it 3 weeks to 1 month for birth certificate and for non-urgent passports, 3 weeks to 1 month as well. If travel is imminent, indicate it when applying for your child’s passport.

  14. As you said there is no certain of opening for birth tourism visa but still can i process to apply for tourist visa,( due date is in september)??

  15. Hi, i’m lebanese and pregnant and want to give birth in Canada. Is it possible to get visa for that matter?
    Where should i mention the purpose of my trip? Will i be granted the visa?

  16. Hi, I would like to give birth in Canada, Montreal to be exact. Could you give be options of hospitals, OBGYN sound that area and costs associated with giving birth.

  17. God Bless Great countries like Canada, I would love to have a direct chat with the admin if given an opportunity.

    Warm Regards

  18. I am Canadian and my wife is not she is currently pregnant and needs a visa to enter Canada. I would like for my child to be born in Canada I have the means to pay for all hospital bills and any other expenses. What is the process time? her visa application has been summited but when it was summited we were not married and we were not pregnant.

  19. Hi,
    I am engaged to a Canadian citizen, and we live in the UK (I’m from Southern Africa). I’m 4 months pregnant and we were hoping to travel to Canada together before the baby is born to be with family. Would I qualify for healthcare (and would I be able to deliver the baby for free) in BC if we were to do so (assuming that the visa application was processed in time, of course)? Because I will be married to a Canadian, we did not think this counted as ‘birth tourism’, but its not clear from the website exactly what visa we should apply for, and whether I would have to pay all medical fees out of pocket…

    Thanks for your guidance!

  20. Greetings
    Please, I’m from Ghana and 5 months pregnant. I want to know if is possible now to get a visa to give birth in Canada?

  21. I’m an overseas Canadian that wants to return to Canada to give birth, but I have lost my OHIP. I can only stay in Canada for about 3-6 months based on the nature of my husband’s job. Can I get OHIP for my Canadian family members if we stay the 153 days, which will cover the cost of labor and delivery and any other health care required upon return if I show proof of PR. What if I have to leave before the 153 days? How do I pay taxes after?

  22. hiiii.
    my name is pradeep saini me and my wife we have been permanent residency of alberta .my wife is pregant nd i just want to about the delivery cost or free of delivery ..our health is working on delivery or not ..please help me out this ???

  23. Blessing Jeffery

    My name is blessing from Nigeria, my husband and I will want to give birth to our child in canada.
    Please can you provide us with every information we will be needing on the process.
    The cost of the hospital bills, the best city and probably hospital to have our baby, and how long the process will take. Am aware of the covid restrictions but I need the info pending when restrictions will be lifted. This is our contact 07062318302

  24. Hi
    I have been applying for a student visa for almost 2 months and my wife has applied for an open work permit visa. My wife recently found out she was pregnant. If our visa is issued and my spouse gives birth in Canada, will the delivery costs be free for us or do we have to pay out of pocket?

    1. Sajjad,

      Congratulations to you and your wife on the pregnancy.

      As an international student in Canada, you will typically have health insurance coverage arranged through your school or you may be eligible for Provincial health coverage after a period of time. Thus, if you add your wife as a dependent on your health insurance and she gives birth in Canada, the delivery costs should typically be covered either through your school’s group health insurance plan or the provincial health insurance plan.

      I’ll recommend you check with the educational institution in Canada, where you’ll be studying for precise information.


  25. Dear Sir or Madam,
    I am a non-resident from Poland wishing to deliver a baby in Canada. I would like to get some information on the costs of delivery at hospitals in Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa or Toronto. Could you provide me with any list of hospitals in said cities that accept non-residents? I am especially interested in C-section.
    Also, I would like to ask how much time it takes to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) granted (I am a EU citizen)?

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Kind regards,


  26. Hi, I have recently applied for study permit to Canada online. one month later I discovered that I am pregnant, is this will affect on the officer decision? However I still didn’t do the medical exam.

  27. Is my Ecuadorian common-law girlfriend covered for medical support if she is carrying my child? I am a Canadian citizen and my now pregnant common-law girlfriend has been in Canada with me on a visitors visa since Jan 2020. We have received two Visitor Records to extend her legal status and have just requested a third out to 2023. We are also applying for her PR status, but it could come after the baby is born.

    1. Cannon,
      Canada health/medical insurance coverage varies from province to province. Which province in Canada do you currently reside?

  28. Hello,
    I’m a canadian citizen by birth while my wife is under open work permit status. We both live together in Canada. I’m sponsoring her under the family class, spouse in Canada path. If we have children, while she is waiting for her PR, will we have to pay out of pocket costs for child birth?

    1. To clarify, we both live in Manitoba. We are both legally married to each other. The civil marriage took place in Manitoba.

  29. Hello, If an international student in Alberta is pregnant and decided to come home to home country after giving birth (due to hardship as the husband is inadmissible to Canada). Can the student still come back to finish the study after the husband’s 5 year ban is done?

    1. KP,
      You can take time off your studies in Canada with the intention of returning back to finish the study afterwards, but keep in mind that there is no guarantee that IRCC will approve your study permit at that time.
      I recommend you discuss your unique circumstances with an educational counsellor at your institution in Alberta.
      All the best!

  30. Hi .. I’m 3 months pregnant.. I’d like to know the possibility of having my baby in Canada with my spouse being the sponsor … we both live in Nigeria .. thank you

  31. Dear Canadawiz team,
    We’ve (non-Canadian) had a child born in Canada. My wife is pregnant again and we are hoping to deliver the second in Canada as well. I understand that immigration officer cannot stop anyone from coming into the country for birth as long as you prove you have the funds but, can there be any sort of repercussion at immigration when they find out my son is Canadian and parents are not. And decline us from any future deliveries in Canada.

  32. Good day, can you please recommend some insurance company and type of insurance for non- residents to give birth in Canada, thank you.

    1. CanadaWiz Team


      As a non-resident of Canada, our recommendation is that you get maternity insurance coverage from an insurance company in your country of residence before you get pregnant.

      This is because most insurance policies will not cover maternity costs for people who are already or soon will be pregnant. There are usually 6 to 12 months of paid maternity coverage before insurers start to cover pregnancy, birth, and newborn care. This is called a “moratorium.”

  33. Ghassan El Cheikh

    I am writing to you for the purpose of inquiring about how to make an appointment for my wife to give birth in Quebec, as the date of her birth is in July 2022, as she will be in Canada at the beginning of June. Please provide me with the required information and if it is necessary to send some medical information about her.

  34. Dear canadwiz team,
    I am appreciating you to give me any information about the cost of giving birth in vancouver for non-resident…thank you very much in advance

  35. Dear Canadawizteam,
    Please I would like to know how one can get the International Insurance cover for childbirth. Thank you.

  36. Work permit holder’s wife can give birth in Canada? All the medical fees-free? need to pay by pocket? Please clarify.

  37. Hello , I’m Abimbola and I want your help on how to go give birth in Canada or better still refer me to a trusted company

  38. Dear Canadian team,
    My wife is pregnant and wishing to deliver baby in Canada, kindly advise if necessary to do arrangement with hospital in Canada to give us quotation (cost of birth) before submitting application for TRV.
    Also advise how much time need processing to get TRV from Nigeria as all requirements complete to submit
    Thank you for your help

  39. Hi,

    I am from India and I have received an open work permit visa . I will be travelling to Canada with my husband who is the primary applicant and holds work permit . As we are expecting ,I want to know what will be the process to give birth over there in Canada . For Eg, do we need to have an insurance before we want to give birth or how many days does it take to get an insurance once we reach there.
    How much time does it take to book an appointment with an obstetrician ?
    P.S. I will be moving to Halifax, NS.

  40. Hi! I’m a US citizen and is currently 4mos pregnant. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We want to give birth in BC. I dont have insurance or international insurance. He doesn’t have one too.
    Is there any way for him to apply for kne and extend it to me?

    Is there any immigration childbirth packages that you can offer?

    Thank you!!!

  41. The world of marijuana strains is diverse and constantly evolving. Whether you are seeking relaxation, energy, pain relief, or other specific effects, there is likely a strain that suits your needs. It is important to note that individual experiences with marijuana can vary, and finding the right strain for you may require some experimentation. When trying different strains, start with small doses and monitor how your body and mind respond

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe Now

Get the latest Canada Immigration tips & hacks in your inbox.

Scroll to Top